The views of the authors on this website are not neccessarily the views of the website. All comments are solely the responsibility of those who write them.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Delmar's Phillips picks App State


 


Delmar High School Field Hockey player Caroline Phillips signed a leter of intent with Appalachian State University.
DELMAR -- After capping off a stellar high school field hockey career at Delmar, falling one win shy of capturing the school's first-ever state championship in the sport, senior Caroline Phillips has decided where she will play next.
The two-time first-team All-State selection will take her talents to Boone, North Carolina where she will suit up to play Division I field hockey with the Mountaineers of Appalachian State.
"When I found out where I was going, I was like 'Okay, thank God. I can finally breathe and just enjoy the rest of my senior year,' " said Phillips. "I'm really glad I made my decision."
Phillips was the leading scorer for the Wildcats helping the team accumulate a 17-2 record. The forward tallied 31 goals and handed out eight assists, and was a driving force behind Delmar's run all the way to the DIAA state championship field hockey game, where they would fall to Cape Henlopen 3-2.
Phillips said she took time to weigh her collegiate options, but that after visiting the North Carolina campus she knew Appalachian State would be her new home.
"As soon as I went to App State for the first time, it felt like I belonged there," said Phillips. "I knew I could spend four years there. I like the girls. I like the coach, and I like the school. They have what I wanted to major in, so I was like 'this is the place for me.' "
Phillips who wants to study criminal justice and pre-law while at college. She said she also considered attending the University of Delaware, but felt that her wants and needs would be better served by going to Appalachian State.
"When I went (to Appalachian State) there was just that feeling that I could take a deep breath and say 'This is where I know I need to be. This is the place I think I can be my best and strive to be 100 percent and stay focused,' " said Phillips. "(Location) was a really big factor that played into my decision because Delaware is so close and I love the sport too much to sit on the sidelines and practice hard every day, but not get anything in return. I knew going here I could practice and get some playing time."
The Mountaineers finished 2011 with a less than sterling record of 2-18, but Phillips is hopeful that she along with the other freshman recruits can help change the direction of the program.
"I want to be able to say that I started something with this incoming class of 2012," said Phillips. "They're not one of the top 20 teams, but I would rather go somewhere I know I can start and make an impact and get my four years going. Hopefully by the time that I'm a senior we can change their previous records."
Phillips will head south in August to start training with the squad, but said that she has already begun preparing.
"I'm really excited, I can't wait," said Phillips. "I've been working my butt off to make sure I'm in shape."

No comments: