The views of the authors on this website are not neccessarily the views of the website. All comments are solely the responsibility of those who write them.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Police Investigate Shooting That Injured Wicomico Sheriff's Deputy

Wicomico County Sheriff's Deputy Thomas Funk. Funk has served with the Sheriff's Office for three years. Prior to that, he served three years with the Salisbury Police Department. (Photo courtesy of Wicomico County Sheriff's Office) 

CAMBRIDGE, Md.- Maryland State Police are investigating a shooting in Cambridge that left a Wicomico County sheriff's deputy injured.
Cambridge police say 23-year-old Tavon Dobson was taken into custody shortly after 1 p.m., following a standoff with police at a home on Hubbard Street in Cambridge. 
Dobson is accused of shooting 29-year-old Deputy Thomas Funk, who was a member of the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force attempting to serve an arrest warrant at the Hubbard Street home. Dobson is wanted on two warrants from the Cambridge Police Department for first and second degree assault, theft and forgery, a parole retake warrant and a violation of probation warrant. He is also wanted by Delaware State Police for burglary and violation of probation.
MSP say Funk was one of the task force members who entered the Hubbard Street residence after being admitted by a female inside. Other task force members formed a perimeter outside the building when police say Dobson shot at Funk.
According to Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis, Funk returned gunfire and escaped out of a window and onto a roof, before jumping to the ground. Funk, who suffered a gunshot wound to his upper arm, was transported to Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury where he is listed in stable condition, according to Lewis. 
MSP say Dobson moved through the house, shooting at task force members outside. Police say several officers returned fire, but the suspect was not shot. A U.S. Marshals Service vehicle was hit, but no other officers than Funk were hit by gunfire.
After the shooting, a SWAT team surrounded the Hubbard Street home where Dobson had allegedly barricaded himself.  After a more than 2 hour stand-off with police, a Cambridge Police Officer was able to negotiate Dobson's surrender shortly after 1:00 p.m.
Dobson was placed under arrest and transported to the Cambridge Police Department where he was processed and served with the outstanding arrest warrants. According to Cambridge Police, Dobson will also be charged with attempted first-degree murder and other related charges relating to the incident.
Funk, of Salisbury, whose injury is considered non-life-threatening, has served with the Sheriff's Office for three years. Prior to that, he served three years with the Salisbury Police Department.

No comments: