The views of the authors on this website are not neccessarily the views of the website. All comments are solely the responsibility of those who write them.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Asbestos Found at South Dorchester High School

CAMBRIDGE, Md. - While repairing the stage lighting at Cambridge-South Dorchester High School, workers made the discovery of asbestos.
The wires connected to old light fixtures contained the cancer-causing material.
"It scared me for a while but we met with representatives from the board and they have promised to do it fast so that it won't bother the play," said Donna James. James is the theater teacher at South Dorchester and is in the middle of preparing for a play that will open in March.
The discovery of asbestos came at a crucial time for those practicing for the school play.
"We can't move them, so if it's not done then we will have a major lighting problem," James said.
The lights can be turned on, but they are not supposed to be moved. The school board said the lights only become hazardous if the wire insulation is disturbed.
"One solution is to simply remove the wiring. Another solution is to replace the wiring and the accompanied fixtures," said Dorchester County Superintendent of Schools Dr. Henry Wagner.
Wagner made sure all parents were made aware of the asbestos. Each student was sent home with a letter stating that there was asbestos but there is no reason to worry.
The school board is hoping to remove the asbestos as soon as possible.

No comments: