The views of the authors on this website are not neccessarily the views of the website. All comments are solely the responsibility of those who write them.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Maryland State Police Conducting Death Investigation

POCOMOKE CITY, Md.- Maryland State Police say homicide detectives are conducting an investigation into the death of a man after he led police on a foot chase and resisted arrest after being involved in a car crash earlier this week in Worcester County.
The deceased is identified as 23-year-old Yakuna McDonald, of the 1200-block of North Tomcat Court in Virginia Beach, Va.. Troopers said that after being involved in a car crash and then leading police on an extended foot chase on Tuesday, May 28, McDonald was transported to Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury, where he was being treated. Three days later, he was pronounced dead.
Yakuna's brother, 22-year-old Thadius McDonald, of the same address, was arrested and charged after the motor vehicle crash. Thadius was charged by the Pocomoke City Police Department with possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. 
Authorities said that at 5:30 p.m. on May 28, officers from the Pocomoke Police Department responded to southbound Route 13, south of Brantley Road for a reported car crash. The preliminary investigation indicates Yakuna was the driver of the car and his brother, Thadius was the passenger. 
Police said that the preliminary investigation by the MSP Homicide Unit indicates that upon arrival of officers from the Pocomoke City Police Department, the brothers were observed standing near the vehicle and possibly impaired. The car they had been driving was on its roof on the southbound shoulder of Route 13. 
Police said that after officers on the scene noted a controlled dangerous substance in the vehicle, they attempted to take both men into police custody. As police were arresting Thadius, they say Yakuna began to run, and led officers on a foot pursuit for approximately one-half mile. 
Police said that when the officers were able to catch up to Yakuna, he resisted arrest by kicking and fighting, injuring at least one of the arresting officers. Authorities said that once handcuffed, officers attempted to carry Yakuna to a nearby police vehicle for transport, when he fell unconscious.
Investigators said a state trooper from the Berlin Barrack, who had arrived on scene after the foot pursuit began, immediately performed CPR on Yakuna. An ambulance, already on scene to treat the injured officers, took over the medical treatment of Yakuna and transported him to PRMC. 
During his medical treatment, Yakuna was placed in the Intensive Care Unit. Three days later, he was pronounced dead, police said. Yakuna's body will be transported to the State Medical Examiner's Office in Baltimore where an autopsy will be completed to determine the cause of death.
An MSP spokesperson said the Pocomoke City Police Department is handling the investigation into the car crash and the alleged controlled dangerous substances found on the scene.

No comments: