The views of the authors on this website are not neccessarily the views of the website. All comments are solely the responsibility of those who write them.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Jaceeys Gone Wild IN Salisbury

DID YOU PAY YOUR 50 BUCKS?



Moments ago, one of the Jaycees representatives walked up to the Owner of the new Aqua Restaurant, (Phil) and said, "did you pay the $50.00 to be here"? Phil kept his composure, smiled and said, WHAT? The Jaycees representative said, you have to pay $50.00 to be out here to give out candy on the Plaza. He went on to say that they RENTED the Plaza from the City and every one has to pay their $50.00 fee to be there.

First of all, Phil, (as a business owner) was simply being kind. He went out and purchased candy to give away, thinking this was the right thing to do. I will say, (obviously) I was standing right there and this gentleman was not being kind at all. If the Jaycees had done the right thing they would have solicited Phil to invite him to participate and perhaps he would have known there was a charge.

I used to be in the Jaycees, (back in the day) and this is NOT how we used to behave and or treat people. Even I had NO CLUE the Jaycees were charging to give away candy. Secondly, this is Phil's property, (as a renter). He's never been charged for a 3rd Friday event, that I'm aware of.

Times are a changing, that's for sure.
Salisbury News
 
 

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Words From Deputy Mayor Karen Wells

Delmar Md. I can only speak for Delmar, MD, but Mayor Anderton and Commissioner Gibb have both been out during the storm to get the low down. We have had downed trees and wires, but thanks to our awesome Public Works department, fire department and police department thing were taken care of swiftly with no injuries. Other than that, we have been extremely lucky thus far especially considering the devastation surrounding us. I'm thinking we really do live in God's country!!

Del. Governor Scales Back Driving Restrictions

WILMINGTON, Del.- Following an examination of road conditions by state highway crews and discussions with emergency management officials, Gov. Jack A. Markell has scaled back the state's driving restrictions throughout the state of Delaware.
Effective as of 8:30 a.m., Markell lifted the Level 2 Driving Restriction and instituted a Level 1 Driving Warning throughout the state. Highway crews, troopers and other emergency officials began inspections of road conditions in early morning hours and will continue those efforts throughout the day. Because of heavy flooding and other damage, the previously-designated Evacuation Areas are still in effect and should not be entered at this time.
A complete list of the Evacuation Areas statewide can be found on the DEMA home page. The DEMA home page also includes maps of the Evacuation Areas for New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County.
Although motorists are permitted to return to the roads, drivers are advised that many highways and streets remain closed as a result of storm-related damage. The high tide cycle that will move up the ocean coast and then the Delaware Bay and River between 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. today may cause additional flooding and closures.

Delmarva Power: Nearly 2,000 Employees, Contractors Responding to Sandy

NEWARK, Del. Delmarva Power says all available utility crews east of the Rocky Mountains have been committed to the restoration effort on the Eastern seaboard.
Pepco Holdings Inc., Delmarva Power's parent company, has secured line personnel from states as far away as Texas and Mississippi. The utility said a significant number of outside line personnel have already arrived at Delmarva Power's staging grounds at the Fisker Plant in Wilmington, Del., and the Arthur W. Perdue (Shorebirds) stadium in Salisbury, Md. PHI is working to secure additional commitments as utilities release crews as the storm's path becomes clear. Crews will be deployed based upon greatest damage and need.
In addition, Delmarva Power said it has 423 internal and contract line personnel and 292 tree removal personnel on the system and ready for quick mobilization. More than 375 customer call representatives are available to answer calls, 232 assessors are ready to identify storm damage, and approximately 650 support personnel are working in their special storm response roles.
"Delmarva Power has committed all its resources to Hurricane Sandy. We are actively working this storm so we can restore power as quickly and safely as possible," said Gary Stockbridge, Delmarva Power Region President. "However, based on the unprecedented damage that is expected, the restoration period is likely to extend more than a week."
Sandy is an agonizingly slow storm and is expected to produce high sustained winds over a prolonged period. According to Delmarva Power, federal safety regulations do not allow overhead work to be performed in sustained winds of 35 mph or more. As a result, the initiation of damage assessment and restoration work will depend on when the storm passes and winds subside. A thorough damage assessment is critical to deploying resources most effectively and efficiently.
For their safety, Delmarva Power urges the public to stay clear of wires hanging loose from poles or lying on the ground. Customers should not attempt to move them. Customers should call Delmarva Power to make the wires safe.
Customers should report outages through Delmarva Power's call center:
  • Delaware Customers: New Castle County: 1-800-898-8042; Kent and Sussex counties: 1-800-898-8045
  • Maryland Customers: Cecil and Harford counties: 1-800-898-8042; Eastern Shore: 1-800-898-8045
  • Customers can also report outages through www.delmarva.com , or through the utility's mobile app, available for downloading at delmarva.com/mobileapp.
  • To report a Natural Gas Emergency call: (302) 454-0317.

Salisbury Mayor Civil Emergency, Curfew Remain in Effect

 
SALISBURY, Md.- Salisbury Mayor Jim Ireton on Monday evening declared a civil emergency for the city. Accompanying the civil emergency was a curfew that remains in effect until 10 a.m. Tuesday.
The curfew prohibits any person or persons from walking, standing, loitering or driving on city streets and roads, with the exception of authorized emergency personnel.
The city advised residents affected by Hurricane Sandy to go to the James M. Bennett High School shelter.
The city on Monday evacuated several residents in the area of Fitzwater and Main streets due to high water. Several city streets were closed during the height of the storm but some were reopened by Tuesday morning.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Market Street Inn (Salisbury)

Hmmmm!!!

Photo

Tree is down with power lines on Foskey and Maryland Ave. AVOID THIS AREA!! Crews are on the scene and it may be some time before it is clear!!!!

Delmar Traffic Alert

foskey lane will be close at Maryland Ave for tree on power lines

Md. Evacuating About 150 From Crisfield

CRISFIELD, Md. (AP/WBOC)- Maryland officials say they are working to evacuate about 150 people from a development in Crisfield.
Ed McDonough, a spokesman for the Maryland Emergency Management Agency, said police got the call shortly before 3 p.m. at the Somers Cove Apartments (Crisfield Housing Authority) in Somerset County.
McDonough said residents became concerned by rising water and called for assistance. He says it does not appear anyone is in imminent danger. McDonough said two boats are being used to get them to higher ground.

Tree down on Bi-State and Walnut street Delmar

Crisfield Md






oops

Partial crane collapse in New York City. That isn't supposed to look like that!
Partial crane collapse in New York City. That isn't supposed to look like that
Photo

Roads in Delmar now beginning to flood as rain continues to intensify.

We may be looking at a Delaware landfall rather than a New Jersey landfall. This is just from my perspective, so we will see officially not too many hours from now.

Latest briefing says Sandy is poised for the Delaware Bay and could make landfall as early as this evening. This storm is about 1000 miles wide and will affect a large area for a long duration. Sustained winds will be 45 to 50mph with gusts up to 80. The worst is yet to come. If you have not evacuated, stay where you are!

If you have a power outage to report, do not call 911

UNDATED- Some areas across Delmarva are experiencing power outages due to Hurricane Sandy.
If you have a power outage to report, do not call 911. Instead, contact your local power company for assistance in reporting an outage. They also ask for you to have a copy of your bill readily available so they can get your account information.
To report an electrical power outage, To report a power outage or other electrical emergency such as a downed wire, pole accident, or tree limb on a wire, Delmarva Power customers in New Castle County, Del. and Cecil and Harford counties in Maryland should call 1-800-898-8042. Delmarva Power customers in Kent and Sussex counties, Del. and the Eastern Shore of Maryland should call 1-800-898-8045.
Choptank Electric members on the Eastern Shore of Maryland should call 1-800-410-4790. Choptank also reminds customers to not forward e-mails to report outages.
Delaware Electric Cooperative members in Sussex and Kent counties who experience an outage should call the co-op's emergency service line at 855-DEC-9090.
A & N Electric Cooperative members on the Eastern Shore of Virginia should call the cooperative at (757) 787-9750 or (800) 431-2632 to report outages. Advise ANEC if there are any medical emergencies or if a standby generator is in use.
Click on the below links for the latest power outage information in your area (if any):
To see the latest Delmarva Power outage updates, click here.
To see the latest Delaware Electric Cooperative power outage updates, click here.
To see the latest Choptank Electric Cooperative power outage updates, click here